August 29, 2008

Why I Hate Liverpool

If you couldn't tell by my name, I'm an Aston Villa fan. I'll spare you the reasons but if you're interested feel free to check them out on my personal blog. I'll try to keep my bias to a minimum in order to make this blog non-Villa-centric, but there's one bit of bias I can't keep quiet.

I hate Liverpool.

Nobody told me to hate them. I'm not trying to be cool by hating the team with the most history. Nope, this has all come naturally. How? By the most basic way: they beat my team in heartbreaking fashion. For those who don't remember, Gerrard hit a free kick in the 87th minute to give the Scousers a 2-1 win in the first weekend of the season.

If that were the only time they had pulled such shenanigans I would have shrugged it off as a bit of bad luck. Liverpool have decided, however, to make such narrow escapes a habit, the most recent example Dirk Kuyt's extra time goal against Standard Liege to send them into the group stages of Champions League. Their consistent underperforming, only to be rescued by a stroke of magic, infuriates my sense of justice.

I welcome all Scousers to tell me why my opinions are complete trash (isn't that why blogs were invented?) and to gloat over your team's countless more successes. Just make sure you do it before Sunday, because without Stevie, Villa will thrash you.

No comments: